Waze Immigration

Foreign Skilled Worker

Federal Skilled Worker Class has traditionally been the most popular category. For applicants meeting minimum criteria, Federal Worker Skilled Class utilizes a point system to determine the applicant’s ability to become economically established in Canada.

Applicants need at least 67 points to be eligible to apply. Skilled workers are chosen as permanent residents based on their education, work experience, English/French language skills, and other factors.  

In addition to selection criteria, applicant should be able to demonstrate sufficient funds available for resettlement in Canada. Once IRCC has determined that an applicant is a member of the Federal Skilled Worker Class, both the principal applicant and their family members, whether accompanying or not, must complete medical examinations if required, and pass criminal and security checks.

To be considered for Federal Skilled Worker program candidates require to meet minimum requirements such as:

Work experience

  • In the same type of job as your primary NOC
  • Within the last 10 years
  • Paid work (volunteer work, unpaid internships don’t count)
  • At skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 National Occupational Classification (NOC)
  • At least 1 year (1,560 hours total / 30 hours per week), continuous:
    • Full-time at 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • Equal amount in part-time: 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • Full-time at more than 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than 1 job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
  • You must show that you performed the duties set out in the occupational description in the NOC.


If you went to school in Canada, you must have a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian secondary (high school) or post-secondary school. If you have foreign education, you must have an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report from an approved agency showing that your foreign education is equal to a completed certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian secondary (high school) or post-secondary school.

Language Ability

You must take an approved language test in English or French that shows you meet the level for writing, reading, listening and speaking and get a minimum score of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 in all four abilities. Your test results must not be more than two years old on the day you apply for permanent residence.

If you have any questions, you can book consultation to speak with immigration consultant.

Book Consulation
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram